ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to texture multiple layers efficiently?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
leif falkHow to texture multiple layers efficiently?
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 3:37:46 pm

Hi community

What is a smart workflow for adding textures in AE?
For example I have got a plant with lets say 20 leaves, which move independently in the wind.
In another comp I have made a grungy texture.

The normal way copying the texture 20 times above that leaves, parent them all to their layer below, switching their mode to "overlay" or what ever and switching the button "preserve transparency" seems for me very inefficient. Now you have got twice as much layers and the new ones in full size of the texture comp.

I prefer to use the effect "Compound Arithmetic". With that you can have only one texture layer in the comp which you can switch invisible, and put that effect on all the leaves. (Not working with shape layers, you have to precomp them"
But you canĀ“t change the section, which the effect uses for the texture, its always the upper left part. So all the leaves get exactly the same section of the texture.

It would be so much better, if their were an effect like "Compound Arithmetic" with the difference to be possible to decide which section of the texture you want to take for the effect. Is there maybe a plugin or some other effect which can do this?

Or any other workflows?
Ideas very welcome..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to texture multiple layers efficiently?
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 5:48:17 pm

Add the textures to the leaves in photoshop.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved