ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Frame flicker

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen PatienceFrame flicker
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 5:11:52 am

Dear all,

My first post to this forum and hoping I may get a solution to my problem.

I shot a 500 frame (approx) time lapse of an aurora not long ago. Each frame was for 20 seconds. The shoot went well until about half way through, when resting in the car, I stepped on the brakes which lit up the foreground in 4 or so frames.

At the time, I thought no problem. I can trace and cut the red foreground of rocks from the adjacent unaffected frames and paste them on top of the affected frames. A good solution which partially worked.

The issue I'm left with is the sky making up the upper part of the frame is partially affected by the red brake light colour too. No problem again I thought - I can tweak the white balance to get it close enough. It's only 4 frames within 30 which is one second of footage. Surely it won't be noticeable. Problem is, it is still noticeable to me. Maybe not others when viewing it for the first time.

As the time lapse involves the movement of stars too, I wondered if something like frame blending might work ?? I welcome your thoughts, tips and advice.

Thanks in advance !

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Frame flicker
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 7:33:28 pm

You could try using auto-levels or you could do the math yourself [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Frame flicker
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 2:57:40 am

its an artificial light problem, so a bit tricky, does it pulsate? If it doesn't pulsate, Color finesse has a grey point eye dropper that will find the white balance, plus it looks like there's a ffx preset from michael's link. I haven't tried it yet, looks pretty cool though. I wonder how it compares to color finesse and this one.
we need a w/b roundup!

if the white balance does pulsate, i wrote a timelapse repair template for AE that you could try.
if you enable the text layer and scroll Gamma Clamp at gamma*10 so that the text box reads 25, it will fix
white balance, shadows, saturation, contrast, automatically. also works on old film flicker.

Return to posts index

Stephen PatienceRe: Frame flicker
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 9:15:51 am

Thanks for your posts guys.

I'll try the auto levels that Michael has suggested above and see how that goes.

If anyone wants to see it as it currently looks with the flicker, you can see it here: Password = myvimeo

The flash is half way through the 8 second clip. It's obvious so just need to smooth it to be less obvious.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved