ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

shapes falling into place?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen robertsshapes falling into place?
by on May 28, 2015 at 5:16:47 pm

Hello! I'm trying to figure out a way of animating a bunch of simple shapes falling into place. In this case a cityscape (see attached). Without key framing each shape.'>screenshot2015-05-28at1.11.23pm.png

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: shapes falling into place?
by on May 29, 2015 at 4:30:31 pm

No keyframing? Good luck with that one! How are you hoping to accomplish this?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: shapes falling into place?
by on May 31, 2015 at 5:01:00 am

I was thinking a reverse timeremap after you apply newton's explosion collision detection program.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: shapes falling into place?
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 2:01:49 pm

You could try the Distribute Layers script, though I'm not sure how much control you have in where the layers are randomly positioned. You would have to keyframe the layers before you apply the script, then apply it and keyframe their position ahead of the previous keyframes.

I personally would just manually keyframe everything in this instance, just because I feel like the amount of tweaking you would end up doing using another method would add up to just as much work. Who knows though; I've been wrong before. ;)

Return to posts index

Peter DiefenthalerRe: shapes falling into place?
by on Jun 8, 2015 at 1:37:59 am

Don't be intimidated by lots of keyframes. You could keyframe animate this much faster than trying to write an expression or something to do the same thing.

Make sure all the layers are in their final rest positions and arrange layer orders to group together “rows”. Put the time indicator at 12 frames or however long you want the fall to take. Select all of the layers and hit “p” on the keyboard to reveal position. Click the position stopwatch on one of the layers to create the end position keyframe for all layers. Move the time indicator to the beginning and move the shapes up in the Y direction all at once, until they are off screen. Then use this script to sequence all the layers so they fall consecutively.

Peter Diefenthaler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved