ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cascading text from up and down

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CabestanyCascading text from up and down
by on May 26, 2015 at 9:59:14 pm

I'm trying to build a series of titles inspired by something like this:
(Sorry for the ad at the beginning).

Now, I could split each line manually and animate the letters from top and bottom by hand but it would be really helpful if I could use an expression or something similar to have the even characters come from above and the odd ones from the bottom, I was thinking that maybe an expression applied to the offset property in the range selector can help me achieve this? I would have two different animators, one for the top and one for the bottom.

This way I can duplicate the text layer and finish a long list of titles a lot faster.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Cascading text from up and down
by on May 27, 2015 at 4:11:15 pm

I'd make my text as desired, then mask out every other character and duplicate the layer. Then I'd change the mode on the mask to the opposite (probably Subtract). Then I'd animate the two layers' vertical positions. Done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Cascading text from up and down
by on May 27, 2015 at 4:59:35 pm

Yes, that would work if I only had one or two texts, but I have a lot of them and each is different, so the masks won't match. It's just too much hand work and not a lot of time to do it.

The modulo operator (%) should do the trick, but I'm not sure of the rest of the expression that needs to be written to compensate for the length difference on each title layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved