ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adjust Timing in Pre-Comp to Top Level Audio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark ChadwickAdjust Timing in Pre-Comp to Top Level Audio
by on May 20, 2015 at 6:35:36 pm

What is the best way to set the timing of animations in pre-compositions while running the audio at the top level? In other words, I want to have the pre-comp timeline open, while running playing the voice-over at the top-level. Currently, I am switching between the two, and the time scales are different--very tedious.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adjust Timing in Pre-Comp to Top Level Audio
by on May 20, 2015 at 10:19:25 pm

You could put a copy of the audio in the precomp, and just turn off the precomp layer's little speaker icon in the main comp.

Although I have to say, I almost never render out files containing audio. I just use audio in AE to time out animations. The audio is almost always somewhere else... like in a video editing application, all in place and ready to go.

That's true even for lip-sync audio. I have never had a problem. Not once.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark ChadwickRe: Adjust Timing in Pre-Comp to Top Level Audio
by on May 20, 2015 at 11:07:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Actually, that's what I ended up doing, and I was able to create a relatively smooth process. In case others are interested, here's the process in more detail:

1) I have about 15 separate scenes that are all pre-comp

2) At the top-level I added makers to the voice-over audio where each of the 15 scenes should start

3) After all the markers are down, I copied, pasted the audio track to all scenes.

4) Of course the audio track is much longer than each scene. I temporarily made the pre-comp the same length as the entire audio. Then I shifted the audio so the respective marker matched the start of the scene. Then I reverted back to the original pre-comp length.

5) I can now play the audio local. Because of the markers, it is exactly matched up with the top-level audio. I turn off the pre-comp audio when I'm done working on the individual piece.

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has some more insight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved