ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Advanced Layer Control

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike PindaraAdvanced Layer Control
by on May 19, 2015 at 9:48:34 pm

So I'm trying to set up a template for a corporate lockup.

I'd love to be able to control which layers are available in a Layer Controls dropdown so no one has to dive into any precomps to change the colors of certain elements.

Ideally, I'm hoping that in the main comp, on a control layer, you can choose from one of the four layers that exist inside a precomp to be the "highlighted" layer.

Is this possible? or am I just a dreamer?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Advanced Layer Control
by on May 20, 2015 at 4:06:41 pm

I think this falls into the category of, "if it were possible, someone would have already done it". And I don't think anyone has done it for templates.

Every template I have seen assumes that the user has pre-existing AE knowlege and experience, ranging anywhere from Beginner to Expert.

I'd love to be proven wrong. It would open up AE use to a lot more people.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Peter DiefenthalerRe: Advanced Layer Control
by on Jun 8, 2015 at 3:07:45 am

I do this on almost all my templates. I don't think the “highlighted layer” idea can be done in the way you're thinking, but you can absolutely create a control layer in the main comp that sets parameters in other comps. That's what expression controls are for.

Create a null or adjustment layer in the main comp and name it “Controls”. Go to Effect > Expression Controls > Color Control. You'll need one control for each element you want to be customizable and name the controls accordingly. In the Effect Controls window, lock the view of those effects, then navigate to the precomp. Any color effects with a color picker like Fill or Tint will easily work with a color control. Expand the effects on the customizable layers, alt+click the stopwatch next to the effect's color property and then pick whip the corresponding color control's color property. This will link the properties together and the color will be editable from the main comp, without the need for a user to randomly search through precomps and layers, or have any sort of advance knowledge of AE. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Peter Diefenthaler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved