ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Workflow for long animation sequence. Huge file slowing down work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe mattheisen
Workflow for long animation sequence. Huge file slowing down work
on May 6, 2015 at 1:16:16 pm

Hello,

I am pretty new to after effects and I created an animation sequence of about 1m40s.

Because the animation is just one long scene from the same angle I couldn't break up the animations into separate compositions and then use transitions to assemble them together in the end. When I tried to break up the animations and put them together in the end the movements were off or you could see a jump in the image.

By doing it all in one composition the file became massive and impossible to adjust.

I couldn't pre render some parts out because I needed all the layers for the entire sequence.

SO what do you guys do? Do you always use multiple transitions and multiple compositions or what should I have done to make it all look like it was one long animation with it being insanely slow. Maybe I should have just animated one portion then rendered then animated the other parts according to that.

Hope this all makes sense. Any tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Workflow for long animation sequence. Huge file slowing down work
on May 6, 2015 at 4:22:51 pm

I don't know what you mean by it being slow. Are you saying it's not responsive when you're adjusting things? Slow to RAM preview? Slow to render? Slow when pressing spacebar?

The length of the composition should have no bearing on the performance of the composition. (That is, unless you have certain kinds of expressions or effects in your comp that evaluate over time.)

I have worked on comps that were half an hour long before. No problems.

[Zoe mattheisen] "I couldn't pre render some parts out because I needed all the layers for the entire sequence."

I don't think you're understanding prerendering. It would probably help you. You can essentially just render a layer out then use that prerender in place of the layer in the comp. Heck, you could even keep the original layer in the comp with the eyeball turned off if you wanted to.

Give us some more information about how you're working, what's in your comp, what version of AE you're running, etc. to help us figure out what's going awry in your case. How long have you been using AE?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]