ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Still image pan in After Effects stutters. Is there a fix?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Hoyt
Still image pan in After Effects stutters. Is there a fix?
on May 1, 2015 at 11:41:08 pm

I am making a fast pan of a still object in After Effects. The object is a high rez photoshop file panning from left to right at 24p. When we export these pans as quicktime movies the image 'stutters', as if there is a field problem even though, of course, there are no fields.

I've had this problem with ALL pans of ALL lengths in After Effects. I've tried creating with tiffs instead of psd files. I've tried exporting targa, tiff and jpegs. They all stutter. If I create the same effect in other programs I don't have this problem, so I wondered if anyone has found a fix in AE.

We don't care what format the final footage is in as long as we can use it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
Re: Still image pan in After Effects stutters. Is there a fix?
on May 2, 2015 at 4:30:19 am

24fps is pretty bad for fast pans. I understand that you are likely trying to match footage frame rates but i would suggest higher frame rates for a better result. Don't forget to turn on motion blur to help smooth those movements. You can also smooth out the motion blur even more in the comp advanced settings.

Hope that solves your issue, if not, upload a sample so we can see it.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Ann Hoyt
on May 2, 2015 at 4:36:57 pm

Thank you to everyone who let me know about the 24p issue. Yes, when I changed the comp to 60 it looked much better, though I also had to slow it down a bit. Our show is 24p in production but will be seen on tv and online, so now we're figuring out how to finish it to use in the final.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 2, 2015 at 3:29:12 pm

I doubt you would see the same visual effect if you changed the comp's frame rate to 59.94.

I recommend that you investigate the term, "judder"... which is what you're experiencing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 4, 2015 at 5:22:58 pm

This article is a must-read resource on this subject:
http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/908/cpsid_90843.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]