ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mask on text precomp not letting main video show through

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald CzarneckiMask on text precomp not letting main video show through
by on Apr 29, 2015 at 7:18:06 pm

My main comp is scene 4 (in the picture attached). In that comp is a text called "Placeholder_edit" which has a mask on it, so that in comp scene 4 the words Honorary bridesmaids will show on top of this placeholder text.

However the mask does not allow the picture underneath to show through. opacity does not help.Hopefully this is clear enough.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Mask on text precomp not letting main video show through
by on Apr 30, 2015 at 4:36:30 pm

It looks like you bought a template, and if you're relatively new to AE, you should know this: simple possession of a template does NOT guarantee AE success. The reason: template developers assume the user has pre-existing AE knowlege, which can range from beginner to advanced levels. Simply put, you're biting off more than you can chew at this point.

You could face multiple levels of nesting, layers can have expressions that would need modification, you may have to modify certain effects settings... any number of things.

Your best bet at this point is to learn the basics of the software. Learn the thinking and logic behind the application. The best place to do that is here:

If your software skills are good, you should be able to pick it up quickly and proceed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ronald CzarneckiRe: Mask on text precomp not letting main video show through
by on May 2, 2015 at 3:30:06 am

thanks for responding David, I am not exactly new to after effects but I'm not a pro. I buy templates and take them apart to change to what I want.

I think what happened here is when I swapped out the placeholder text I used a rendered out video of the text scrolling up. I should have just made the scrolling text and added my own rotation as I think that is all they had along with a color correction. No script was used in the template.

This time I made the video with an alpha channel using AVI which you can see on the right with the attached picture. The one on the left is without an alpha channel.

Notice the light is shinning through better and with a feather the edge would go away. I guess it was the video doing that hard edge.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved