ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Blue Valentine Titles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart SamuelsBlue Valentine Titles
by on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:51:59 pm

I absolutely love the titles at the end of the film Blue Valentine and thought I'd attempt to recreate them as it seems relatively simple. However, I just can't seem to get a good result. Using stock footage of fireworks and photographs I have tried using different blend modes and track mattes but nothing looks even close to being as pleasing as the real thing.

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions? Here's the titles in question....

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Blue Valentine Titles
by on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:59:44 pm

Stuart -

Did you scroll down the page on the link you posted? He virtually walks you through the process used in creating the titles, element by element. Not only is there imposition of elements going on, but there's extensive color correction as well. To nail that look would take days of experimentation, which it no doubt did.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Stuart SamuelsRe: Blue Valentine Titles
by on Apr 20, 2015 at 4:53:21 pm

Oh dear, apologies. Thank you for pointing that out!

Ot doesn't actually go into the bit that I'm struggling with though... The designer himself (Jim Helton) says it was all done in FCP but he can't remember the process. I've had some OKish results with my tests but nothing I'm happy with.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Blue Valentine Titles
by on May 6, 2015 at 4:00:02 pm

My thought is a copy of the fireworks footage with color correction cranked on it for a track matte for the footage. Then color grade the footage to match the fireworks a bit and lay the original fireworks footage over that. Play with blending modes, perhaps.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved