ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tricky: animate dots along 3 paths always aligned

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jantzen
Tricky: animate dots along 3 paths always aligned
on Mar 12, 2015 at 7:39:15 am

I'm wondering if anybody has an idea as to how I would accomplish this other than manually, which is what I'm resorting to tomorrow unless there's a better way.

I have 3 paths drawing out from screen left. Top path arcs over, middle path moves along straight, and the bottom path arcs down. What I'm supposed to do, according to my client, is to keep the dots aligned on the X axis at all times. The tricky part is, the line animates to "bypass" an object at some point. I think there will have to be extra dots in that spot to account for the added distance.

If anything comes to mind, please don't hesitate to share! I attached rough storyboard frame from the client of what they have in mind. I know, their dots don't line up very well, but it's what they want.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Tricky: animate dots along 3 paths always aligned
on Mar 12, 2015 at 3:33:18 pm

I manage to get this. Not perfect dots but maybe something you can track.

I used an animated checkboard, then in the same layer I draw the lines and cut the image using the Stroke effect.

I send everything to a PreComp and add over it a Median effect to soften the squary edges.

I hope this helps

https://vimeo.com/fernandomol

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
Re: Tricky: animate dots along 3 paths always aligned
on Mar 12, 2015 at 7:55:38 pm

Thanks for giving it a shot Fernando! I tried what you suggested, but for some crazy reason, the Median effect had not effect at all on the precomp. I like the look of what you've got going on there, but unfortunately, the dots don't align on the X axis either. It's really just one of those things that probably has to be done by hand (I definitely don't see a demand for doing this ever again), but if somebody knew of a way to accomplish it quickly, I would be oh so grateful!

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]