ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Workflow Question on Animating Hand-Drawn Graphics?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabi BucataruWorkflow Question on Animating Hand-Drawn Graphics?
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:44:58 pm

Hello Gang!

So, I have this enigma regarding coming up with an efficient workflow that makes sense for a hand-drawn animation similar to the video below at 0:10 and beyond, where there are these hand drawn outlines and things on certain features of the person's face, etc.

7 Things I Learned in 7 Years of Reading, Writing, and Living from Dissolve on Vimeo.

While I have an idea on how to make the actual animation, I have trouble coming up with a technique that actually lets me draw on an extra layer while having the actual clip as a guide on where to draw the lines.
Also, I wish this could be done in Photoshop where I have more paintbrush options to play with.

I am probably asking too much, but I am just curious to pick the brain of some of you experts out there who ran already into this or have a method that make sense.

What I tried, was to double click on the movie clip layer (in AE) then draw the lines frame by frame, which works, but again, I would like to have a little more control over the paintbrush options, and line qualities.
Ah - yes, the one reason that I would like to have this edited in Photoshop is that there you can do onionskinning. I am probably answering my own questions - by bringing the clip into Photoshop. But something tells me there should be an easier way.

Thanks for reading - any little tip will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Rich ReynoldsRe: Workflow Question on Animating Hand-Drawn Graphics?
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 6:56:13 pm

You can do it in either AE or Photoshop. In AE use the paint tool and double click the layer then set your brush settings and you can paint on the image frame by frame. In photoshop you can use the timeline to step through the footage frame by frame and paint on it then export the final result. In photoshop you have a lot more control over brushes. If you have a tablet use the stylus and it will work very well for you. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Lori BurwashRe: Workflow Question on Animating Hand-Drawn Graphics?
by on Mar 9, 2015 at 1:32:36 am

Here's how we aligned the strokes and drawn details:

1) Capture about 5-10 still frames from the video you want to have drawn details on

2) Print those stills out (can be scaled down)

3) Using tracing paper, draw accent lines around details etc, wherever you want.

4) Scan those drawings back in

5) Follow the instructions on “Paper to Premiere” tutorial (noted above) to scan image in and create a transparent background

6) Import the drawings into After Effects and align different strokes with different features for a short number of frames, similar to what we did with the type, this will allow the drawn lines etc to sort of dance.

It's a pretty analog way of doing this, but we found it the best way to get the authenticity of the hand-drawn line. This video was about celebrating someone's life’s work, so we really wanted it to have a handmade, human touch, something we just couldn’t achieve by drawing in Photoshop.

Writer, Dissolve
Better footage, better stories™

What is Dissolve?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved