ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Smudge Glass look - how to create ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie WalunasSmudge Glass look - how to create ?
by on Feb 21, 2015 at 5:41:02 pm

Hi.

I'm looking for info or a tutorial on how to create the smudged glass look - where the background looks glass-like and smudge as well as what's in the foreground. For example the smudged glass look with finger prints or a greasy smear would appear in the foreground of a text element, and the text element would look like it's behind the dirty glass.

I've seen this a number of times in commercials or show intros. I don't have a specific one in mind I can reference, but A&E has a similar look to what I'm interested in achieving. Andrew Kramer has a tutorial on fogged glass, but that's not really what I have in mind.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Marc RühlRe: Smudge Glass look - how to create ?
by on Feb 21, 2015 at 6:05:26 pm

Maybe you already know this tutorial, but I guess if you modify it it could be the look you try to achieve, If I understand you

http://www.schwarzgrau.com

Return to posts index

Rosie WalunasRe: Smudge Glass look - how to create ?
by on Feb 22, 2015 at 4:14:35 am

Yes that's the tutorial I mentioned by Andrew Kramer. It's good, but he uses pre-maid displacement maps / mattes that are magenta and green to achieve that specific look. I'd need the mattes that have something like smudges and grease streaks rather than the foggy icy look that's pre-built.

If there's any elements like this to download for free or a way to achieve this from scratch in AE, it would be great to know.

Return to posts index

Marc RühlRe: Smudge Glass look - how to create ?
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 10:04:23 am

Sorry I missed the tutorial part.
These are called Normal Maps. If you using a mac you can use a free software called crazy bump to create them. I don"t know which software to use on windows, but I know there are is a free photoshop plugin and some standalone software. Just google for normal map creator.

http://www.schwarzgrau.com

Return to posts index

Rosie WalunasRe: Smudge Glass look - how to create ?
by on Feb 23, 2015 at 1:59:26 pm

I ended up using CrazyBump to make a normal map out of a smudged image. It looks okay. I was hoping for something more clean and custom. My video, like his, pretty much looks like fogged glass or ice. Hopefully I can figure out something that looks more like what I'm going for. I think it's a matter of the source image being near perfect. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]