ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to create the weatherman effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane WhatleyHow to create the weatherman effect?
by on Feb 17, 2015 at 1:11:24 pm

I am struggling to figure out a good way to accomplish this. Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a virtual set with a monitor in AE. I want to place a person (using greenscreen) in front of the monitor in the virtual set. And I want him to be able to point and "click" on areas within the monitor. Much like someone navigating a website or app.

Any help regarding how to set up for this would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to create the weatherman effect?
by on Feb 17, 2015 at 11:05:17 pm

Put the talent and the monitor in the same chroma key shot. Then the talent can point to certain areas of the screen and the interaction will look better. If the monitor's supposed to contain animated graphics & such, you can add them in AE at the same time you're pulling the key.

You'll have to do some roto work with rotobrush to isolate the talent's hand when it passes over the screen, but that should be a comparatively easy thing to do.

Remember: the first step to good chroma key work is good lighting. Second is a good camera.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane WhatleyRe: How to create the weatherman effect?
by on Feb 18, 2015 at 1:15:54 pm

Good suggestions. Thank you Dave!

Shane

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: How to create the weatherman effect?
by on Feb 18, 2015 at 2:34:05 pm

If you have specific things the talent is supposed to be pointing at or navigating through, make sure you plan in advance how their motions will play out. Trying to add content in post, after the talent was just guessing where and when to point, can be a real pain.

Return to posts index

Shane WhatleyRe: How to create the weatherman effect?
by on Feb 18, 2015 at 2:46:03 pm

Thanks Daniel. I am trying to avoid the guessing game as I know that will be a headache in post.

I think I will use a real monitor and hope that I can capture the interactions between the talent and the screen well. If not, I can always rotoscope the talent and replace the graphics afterwards like Dave suggested. At least I'll know the talent is pointing/clicking in the right areas.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]