ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Created animated contour effects like those seen in Jupiter Ascending UI by Territory Studios

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Green
Created animated contour effects like those seen in Jupiter Ascending UI by Territory Studios
on Feb 16, 2015 at 2:54:13 pm

I'm having a go at recreating some of the animated contour effects seen in the Jupiter Ascending UI motion graphics by Territory Studios seen here: https://vimeo.com/117188360

I thought I could achieve this by creating the contour shapes in Illustrator and then bringing the paths into After Effects as Shape Layers on Masks and then use Trapcode Particular to make the line grow randomly...

but I've come to a dead end and can't figure out how to get Particular to animate along Shape Layers or Masks.

Any suggestions?
Do you think this is the same method that Territory used?

Splurj Creative, Video Production, Motion Graphics & Animation in Manchester UK.

Return to posts index

Nik Hill
Re: Created animated contour effects like those seen in Jupiter Ascending UI by Territory Studios
on Feb 22, 2015 at 12:25:40 pm

Hey dude,

We used Cinema4D's mograph module along with standard emitter to achieve this look. Essentially we emitted particles that were driving a tracer object and manipulated the way particles moved using forces like rotation and turbulence. Then rendered the scene using hair render.

Hope this helps! Shout if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Tim Rice
Re: Created animated contour effects like those seen in Jupiter Ascending UI by Territory Studios
on May 13, 2015 at 6:27:15 am

Hey Nik!
Love your work and really appreciate the reply! My CD is using this as design reference for wind. Getting it to work right is a little tricky. I started with xpart, but TP seems more reliable. I'm animating the rotators position to the particles to adjust the angles and get them to swirl. But getting two groups to go straight then split is a bit tricky! Any tips would be helpful!

Motion Designer
vrtx.tv

Return to posts index

Nik Hill
on May 13, 2015 at 6:37:00 am

Hey dude,

Thanks for the love.

You can create this with standard emitter, I'd advise to go down that route to avoid the xpresso headaches.

For your problem make sure you have the rotators falloff set to spherical, then Make sure it's oreinted correctly, you may have to experiment by rotating it 90 degrees on different axis to get the particles to rotate in the right way. To me it sounds like falloff should do the trick. If you set up 2 rotator fields with spherical falloff and place those in front of the oncoming particle, once it hits the falloff field they should rotate and split.

Should if that doesn't make sense or feel free to send over a scene file if it isn't NDA'd.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Tim Rice
on May 13, 2015 at 5:32:21 pm

Hey!
Yeah i'd super appreciate that. When the particles hit the falloff they just sort of halt and lurch around even if I increase the rotational speed. V01 is the way I was approaching it, and V02 is my attempt with the falloff.

WindV01:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cublhyzp3ou6mn4/WindTPV01.c4d?dl=0

WindV02:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gc9gep8c9d1kmod/WindTPV02.c4d?dl=0

Thanks!
-T

Motion Designer
vrtx.tv

Return to posts index

Nik Hill
on May 13, 2015 at 9:45:21 pm

Hey,

I can see the problem you were having, the trick is to get the particles inside the spherical falloff field for the rotation to work. I've amended your setup here https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9i0f356dx7io4r/WindTPV03.c4d?dl=0

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]