ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracking the movement of a paint tool object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffery DeGregorioTracking the movement of a paint tool object
by on Feb 11, 2015 at 4:52:56 pm

I am sort of new to Adobe After Effects and I have CC 2014 (through the Adobe creative cloud). I have looked at various tutorials and did some of them. One particular tutorial I worked on pretty successfully was to perform tracking motion using the Null Object and was able to get “Text” to move with the video and null object set up.

There are lots of good tutorials on using motion tracking / mask tracking on making shapes and text move. There are even some with rotoscoping. But many of the tutorials are limited to basic shapes and text.

What is the best way to use the Paint Tool (At least I believe it would be the Paint Tool) to “paint” something on the video and have whatever is painted on the video get motion tracked or mask tracked (which would I use anyway)?

I don’t want to animate (track) the painting sequence (frame to frame) but rather instead to “paint” something in a particular spot on the video source (or perhaps a layer if that’s the correct place) and have this painted object move with the video (either motion tracked or mask tracked).

I did paint something on the video; however, it doesn’t move with the video.

What would be the best or correct way to accomplish motion tracking/mask tracking on something painted for a video? Is there a tutorial specifically to achieving this?

Thank you, Jeff

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Tracking the movement of a paint tool object
by on Feb 12, 2015 at 3:52:59 pm

You would want to use the 3D Camera Tracker. Once you track your shot and create a new camera from the data, put your paint on a separate layer and make it 3D. The camera in AE should mimic your real world camera movement and the paint layer should stay in place.

Return to posts index

Jeffery DeGregorioRe: Tracking the movement of a paint tool object
by on Feb 12, 2015 at 5:04:21 pm

Sounds like a plan. Thanks. I have been looking into Mask Tracking and Motion Tracking. I believe there are many 3D camera trackers out there. This will help alot (if you know of a few Youtube or other videos that are really exceptional, please let me know)

Thank you, Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved