ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Paint on film effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim branstetterPaint on film effects?
by on Jan 30, 2015 at 1:04:18 am

Hi All,

I want to do something that looks like the old painting an film, where you painted on the film stock. here is an example

. I would like to get the lines running throught the frames like the example at 38 seconds. i'm thinking i could use the paint brushes in after effects for this. I also want to use some custom brushes in photoshop for shapes and splothes and such. I've done a few test and doing layers in photoshop with brushes for the shapes, then converting the layers to frames this works great for some things. But not the continuous lines like at the 38 sec point of video example.

I'd love to hear any Ideas or theories on this.

Thank You in advance, Jim

Jim Branstetter

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Paint on film effects?
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 7:56:18 pm

I would try a simple approach to this first.

Create a tall photoshop document, use brushes to paint line(s) trying to keep the top and the bottom of the image as symmetric as possible the usen the offset plugin in AE to simulate a long continuous movement. You can also create different photoshop documents to keep it visually different.

Another approach can be doing the same thing in illustrator (because of its vectorial nature) then find a combination of plugins (roughen edges, some kind of distortion etc) in AE to make the lines more realistic...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved