ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Workflow: Lighting After Effects and Cinema 4D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin MasloWorkflow: Lighting After Effects and Cinema 4D
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 9:50:33 am

Hello there,

I'm wondering what's the best workflow for a project with 3D and 2D elements that I'm planing to do.
The lighting will be a crucial storytelling element (there's a stage with many searchlight spots etc).

I'd prefer to get the 3D elements from the 3D department, throw them into AE (CC2014) and do the lighting for everything in there. I found out that it is quite easy to load C4D projects into AE. But I didn't manage to make them receive light. Is there anything that I'm missing or is it just not possible? And if it is possible: Would this make sense?

Or would it be better to do the lighting in C4D and import the lights into AE? (if that is possible, I didn't test it yet)

Or maybe think of a real compositing tool like Fusion or Nuke?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Martin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Workflow: Lighting After Effects and Cinema 4D
by on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:11:59 pm

Here's the drawback to lighting in AE: the more lights you add, the more drastically you increase render time. Not to mention the pain of placing and tweaking lights in AE... I hate doing it.

C4D is probably a LOT faster at this than AE. I for one vote for lighting the 3D elements in C4D.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin MasloRe: Workflow: Lighting After Effects and Cinema 4D
by on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:42:35 am

Thank you very much Dave!

The thing is: We're talking an only 10 seconds long spot. I don't know if it's worth it to learn a new software, I think I could handle the render time.
On the other hand, I've been doing some basic usage of C4D before (well, ten years ago) and I remember it to be pretty straightforward and quite easy to learn.

But since I don't even have a solution for my lighing problem, I think the best thing to do is refreshing my C4D skills and do the lighting there...

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Workflow: Lighting After Effects and Cinema 4D
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 5:31:40 pm

Though the lights are problematic in after effects, I would suggest using the LightMan script found at aescripts.com. Its pay what you want, and when you use it, it creates a camera that shows you exactly your lights position and where it is looking. Once you have it placed, just delete or turn off the camera. Works great.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Martin MasloRe: Workflow: Lighting After Effects and Cinema 4D
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:03:58 am

Thanks Derek, I think that script can be quite handy.
But this time I decided to do the lighting in C4D and I'm quite happy with that decision!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]