ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

x-fer properties of (many) text layers to gfx layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Paul Dougherty
x-fer properties of (many) text layers to gfx layers
on Jan 8, 2015 at 10:14:43 pm

I have a pretty fancy multilayer title effect build based on text/titles (bought from Revostock) where the title is made with the text tool. I've been given an eps graphic of a title that I want to use to replace the text but how?

If it were a gfx to gfx swap I'd just option drag the replacement grx to that layer in the comp but can't (error layer does not have a source)

Even if I copied and pasted position keyframes etc by hand there is the problem of an expression being applied to the *source text layer*, there is no matching parameter on the new graphic to past that into.

Another possibility - I thought I read somewhere that one can convert an eps graphic into a text object, is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: x-fer properties of (many) text layers to gfx layers
on Jan 9, 2015 at 6:46:45 pm

There's an AE feature that can convert text in an Illustrator or Photoshop file into editable text, but AE needs access to the original typeface to use it.

I'm still scratching my head how to do this. Have you tried the replace footage trick? Option (Alt)-drag footage from the project window onto a highlighted layer?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Jan 9, 2015 at 6:51:51 pm

Thanks Dave when I try the Option drag swap you suggest I get an this msg "error layer does not have a source" which it true in that the layer is AE (created) text and not a file

I would need to go the other way in what you describe, that is make AE text into a eps object or file and then do the above swap, but I'm guessing AE does not do that

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 9, 2015 at 7:18:01 pm

You're right -- AE to EPS is no-go.

Is there any way to salvage at least part of your work in an animation preset, and apply it to the EPS file?

I know expressions are cool and everything, but your lamentable situation is another reason why I try to avoid expressions at all costs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:35:03 pm

A few shots in the dark here which may or may not work...

Try precomposing the text layer you want to replace and leave all attributes in the composition. Then try adding your EPS graphic inside the precomp. This might throw off your expression though.

You could also try making the text layer invisible and parenting your graphic to it. I'm not sure how the animation works though, so that likely won't work.

Do you know what the expression does, and if it is necessary?

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:48:27 pm

Thanks Daniel. I was able to transfer the properties by hand which was tedious but not a deal-breaker. But I do want to sort this out for next time and will look into this

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]