ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Working from design file - Animating along circular path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sappo
Working from design file - Animating along circular path
on Dec 12, 2014 at 5:36:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I've recently been given an Adobe Illustrator design file with specific design assets to be used for animated motion graphics.

I've begun to tinker with animating the smaller spheres around the larger sphere. My techniques have included using a 3d orbit plugin, and expressions to get the smaller spheres to rotate around the larger sphere.

These techniques although cool, do not work as expression math doesn't maintain a true linking to the larger sphere that's been illustrated, and I'm really not savvy enough to write the code to do so.

Could you suggest the best way to control the animation of each sphere using the larger sphere path as the path the smaller spheres are 'anchored' too?

Best.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Working from design file - Animating along circular path
on Dec 12, 2014 at 9:08:19 pm

You write "sphere", yet your screenshot shows circles. Is there a reason for this?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Sappo
on Dec 12, 2014 at 9:14:32 pm

Ha, yes -due to my mind not switching back into the second dimension as I wrote that.

Circles all day.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2014 at 6:55:02 pm

If that's a 2D layer we're looking at, you should be able to make it 3D and animate the y-rotation.
If it doesn't work, please try describing the contents of illustrator document in more detail, what you're doing to it in AE, and the image you intend the viewer to see when all is said and done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:42:43 pm

I would put a null object at the center of the circle and then parent the smaller circles to it. Then, you can rotate the null and the little circles will rotate around the big circle!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]