ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Render black and white PNG sequence

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel ErikssonRender black and white PNG sequence
by on Dec 6, 2014 at 2:17:56 pm

I want to render a PNG Sequence in black and white. How do I accomplish that? When I try to change the setting the Black and White option is greyed out for me.

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Render black and white PNG sequence
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 11:22:30 pm

Without knowing more information I can't necessarily tell you what your specific problem is. However, I can give you a work around.

If you want grayscale: create an adjustment layer at the top of your comp and use a tint. Then export the sequence as PNG.

If you want a true B&W only, use a threshold and adjust the amount.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Daniel ErikssonRe: Render black and white PNG sequence
by on Dec 11, 2014 at 6:36:58 am

Thank you for your answer!

I'm using AE for editing still images (since I don't own PS) of documents scanned in B&W. So my source files are B&W PNG files, but when I want to render them as a PNG Sequence the B&W option is greyed out.

This causes me problems, because when I scan a document the result is binary, i.e. the text is 100% black and all the surrounding area is 100% white. This is ideal for OCR and printing, and hence the way I want my rendered files from AE to be.

But even though my rendered images from AE are in B&W, when you zoom in on the text you can see that AE has added a shade of grey to the text, making the edges of the text softer and a bit blurred. That is bad for OCR and it will use up more ink when I print.

So I want to keep that binary, 100% B&W quality on my images, and I also want to know how to activate the greyed out B&W option, because I think that that would rectify the problem.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out, and please let me know if you need further details.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved