ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects CS6 - Particular - use different movies as particles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Baba LubaAfter Effects CS6 - Particular - use different movies as particles
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 12:25:45 am

as the title says. I want to use a particle system (particular) to make a cloud of movieclips, that all play there own content.

you know... the classic thing, many Clips floating around and we fly with a Camera through them, the camera stops at a clip and we can watch it.

can I do it with particular... I know how to use particular and how to setup a particle system, that has sprites or textured polygons set as particles.
There is a Precomp with many layers (the Clips), which should be the particles. I know this technique with stillframes..

so but how do I set this up with Clips, so each particle is a different Clip, with different content.
I played around a while and I can't get it to work...

thanks for any ideas

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects CS6 - Particular - use different movies as particles
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 5:38:03 pm

From the Particular help document:
Split Clip modes split the custom layer into a number of clips. The number is set the parameter Number of Clips. For example, if the custom layer is 30 frames and Number of Clips is set to 3, that means the custom layer will be split into three 10 frame clips. This is useful for creating a set of animated particles.

Get it? Basically, have your precomp containing a bunch of animations that are all the same exact number of frames and all sequenced and then use the Split Clip option.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved