ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating an adjustable gear

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach LongCreating an adjustable gear
by on Nov 6, 2014 at 12:58:43 am

I need to make a gear with VERY specific curves. I would pay someone if they could help me with this project, it's that important. I need to make a gear with spokes that can be reshaped, and adjustments will be automatically mirrored around the entire gear.

To do this, I want to create a noncircular segment of two spokes in the gear. Then this segment must be curved along a circular angle, then repeated to go all the way around and complete the whole gear.

For Part 1, I was thinking about putting the noncircular segment onto a circle path, forcing the baseline to follow this angle. Kind of like how you can put text on a path, but instead I want to use a shape. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.

For Part 2, I want to use a mirror effect to copy the two spokes around the rest of the circle OR copy the spokes along the rest of the circle.

For Part 3, I want to be able to adjust the original two spokes and the rest of the mirrored or copied spokes follow suit. I also need a null controller for stroke width.

So far part one, does anyone know how to force a shape's baseline around a circular path? Or a better method? I'm in great need and seeking a genius or three.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating an adjustable gear
by on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:02:43 pm

Polar Coordinates. Rectangular to Polar.

If your comp is twice as wide as it is tall, you will have a circle.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved