ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trapcode Particular - Polygon Particles Backside

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Baba LubaTrapcode Particular - Polygon Particles Backside
by on Oct 28, 2014 at 11:15:50 am

I want to make a random field with pictures floating around. I have a MainComp with the Particular-layer and my PreComp, where every frame is a diffrent picture-layer and I use this comp as a polygonlayer-source for Particular. So far so good. I have my floating picture cloud, cool.

My question is... what do I have to do, to give this pictures a backside

My attempt is, within this picture-PreComp all Layers are 3D and I made a backside-layer and placed it 0.5 pixels behind the frontside.
In my MainComp, I set my pictures-PreComp on "Collaps Transformations" and when I rotate the Camera in the MainComp (!!!).... I see this backside, fine... but if just the particles-pictures rotating, because of random rotation, I don't see the backside.

Do you know what I mean?
What do I do wrong... any tips?
Or any other Idea, to make something like this?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Trapcode Particular - Polygon Particles Backside
by on Oct 29, 2014 at 8:57:20 pm

Particles aren't 3d elements, so having a second layer behind it in the precomp isn't going to help. Particular just textures polygons with the image shown in the precomp. The actual contents of the precomp are irrelevant.

Particles can not have a separate backside. It would be a good feature request to Red Giant though.

A (sort of) solution:
Instead of using a textured polygon, use a normal sprite. In your precomp, have each picture spin. Thus showing the backside you've created. You can tell Particular to use a certain number of frames per particle. And the loops can be offset so they're not all spinning at the same angle.
Thus you will have a bunch of animating particles that spin to reveal a different backside.
It's not an ideal solution, but it's your only choice as far as I know.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved