ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing borders of a layer without scaling it

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Bennett
Changing borders of a layer without scaling it
on Oct 22, 2014 at 7:05:56 pm

I have an Audio Spectrum effect on a circular path, but the layer has it's bounding box tight in on the circle and you can't see the spectrum outside it.

What I want to do is to make the edge of the layer the same size as the comp without scaling the contents of the layer, or just make it bigger. Is there a way I could do this simply?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
Re: Changing borders of a layer without scaling it
on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:52:48 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "bounding box." Can you upload a screen grab and maybe a few more details so I can better help?

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Brendan Bennett
on Oct 23, 2014 at 12:04:33 pm

Having done some more research and I have found an effect called grow bounds which does what I want to do, but it doesn't work. Here's a screenshot:

Thanks

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Oct 23, 2014 at 2:41:19 pm

I'll keep looking, but your best bet is to probably create a second mask and link the mask path of the Audio Spectrum to the new one. Just make sure you create the mask the size you want. If you are wanting a rounded border, and it doesn't really matter if the mask is a perfect circle, just double clip the ellipse tool and a mask fitting the comp will be created.

If I find something else, I'll let you know.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Brendan Bennett
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:53:19 pm

I've just been playing around and I have found a compromise. I changed the mask's expansion to 1000 and it did pretty much the same thing. Since I'm only using the mask path and not actually using it as a mask it's fine.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]