ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracking and floor replacement conundrum

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matteo VegettiTracking and floor replacement conundrum
by on Oct 16, 2014 at 5:53:32 pm

Dear CCers,

I'm looking for suggestions because what I've tried so far didn't work really well and I'm looking for alternatives.

I've shot a 600 frame long slide and crane shot: whilst the slider is moving backward (ground level) the crane is rising and the head is pointing at the floor showing the floor only in the last frames (I hope I gave you an idea as I cannot upload the footage for the moment). Big warehouse, 21mm Zeiss CP, 5m crane, 15m slide, 1/100 shutter speed.

Initially I thought I could just track a 3d camera and add a big solid covering the entire area (the floor) I wanted to replace.

AE 3d camera tracker didn't yield a very good track.
I've tried with mocha Pro but I couldn't track the 3D camera as the perpendicular planar surface is not in the shot for that long.
I've tried tracking the floor only and the track I came up with was pretty stable BUT I cannot export for AE corner pin data as I exceed the infamous 30000 buffer.
I've then tracked with the Foundry's camera tracker and get good tracking results but, alas, as my solid will span so many frames I cannot get two track features at the beginning of the shot and two at the end and creating different solids turns out to be an alignment nightmare later on...

So... I'm basically lost at the moment.
I think the right way to go would be to create a series of reference points through some tracker and import in a 3D package... or is there a simpler way? Any suggestions or tutorial I'm missing? I've searched far and large but couldn't find anything suitable.

My other option *don't shiver*, because all in all the camera movement is quite simple, is to stabilise and then add my solid manually...

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Tracking and floor replacement conundrum
by on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:26:24 pm

here is the exact same tutorial

Return to posts index

Matteo VegettiRe: Tracking and floor replacement conundrum
by on Oct 22, 2014 at 7:26:54 am

Well, not quite, as my camera movement is much larger.
In the end I solved using the AE 3D camera tracker and selecting a big area using several trackers. With minor adjustments and using the smoother on the camera I've managed to get a pretty decent result!
Thanks for your reply anyway :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved