ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE masks applied to AI layers with clipping masks - now behaving badly! (CC2014)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Biercewicz
AE masks applied to AI layers with clipping masks - now behaving badly! (CC2014)
on Oct 13, 2014 at 12:55:10 pm

Hi all,

I have an ai file with a layer that includes a jpeg with a clipping mask applied. When I bring this .ai into After Effects and apply a mask to this layer, the image that's embedded within the ai clipping mask starts jumping around.

I find this quite confusing, as it's not the entire layer moving around - just the clipped image inside it.

This is something I've done plenty of times before, and it's only just started doing this since the latest CC 2014 update.

Anyone else had problems with this?

Thanks
Ryan

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
Re: AE masks applied to AI layers with clipping masks - now behaving badly! (CC2014)
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:29:38 pm

I actually had something similar happening, and it makes me think it has something to do with the masks in AE. I was masking around a particular object on a duplicated footage layer so that I could brighten the background but leave the object the same luminance. However, when I applied keyframes for the matte path, during the RAM preview and on output, the layer that the mask was on would flash back and forth on a scale property going from like 100% to 25% every 3 frames or so, but still staying within the mask. It was weird as heck.

I eventually deleted the footage file and brought it back in to the comp and it worked fine. Still, was completely strange.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Biercewicz
Re: AE masks applied to AI layers with clipping masks - now behaving badly! (CC2014)
on Oct 13, 2014 at 6:00:57 pm

Hi Derek,

I've just tried reloading everything into AE and it's still the same - was this a recent issue for you?

I've tried reloading the layers individually into AE, tried replacing the .ai file with a new one, tried replacing the paper texture (clipped image) with another image, done a cold reset, tried re-making the clipping masks in ai, and still the same!

Not quite sure what to do now...

Cheers
Ryan

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
on Oct 13, 2014 at 7:41:03 pm

The only thing I can suggest is to carefully observe how you are brining your files into AE. Try bringing it in as Footage or with non editable layer styles, etc. Hopefully that will help.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]