ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects - A question about animating fonts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mihail IlievAfter Effects - A question about animating fonts
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 8:49:35 pm

Hi everyone :) This is my first post , so if this is not the right place to post this question , please forgive me :)

Recently i animated a font for a client and then made some text compositions with it . When i say "I animated a font " i mean i did a small animation on each letter that i was going to need and every letter was its own composition. I then arranged the letters in another composition and did the timing and spacing on the timeline.

That whole think got me thinking about two things :

1) Is there is a way or script or expression that can connect font compositions to a real text layer.

example: i type the word "WORD" in a text layer and then the script uses the text layer to call the preanimated and numbered compositions , get the W composition , O,R and D-composition and then arrange them in another composition with a certain position offset of lets say a 100 PX or another number and a frame offset of lets say 3 or whatever frames.

2) I think the first idea is waaay to complicated so i got to thinking about just pre-compositing a few variants for words with a different number of letters and then use a control layer to call upon different letter compositions. But that would probably still need a script or expression.

All ideas are greatly appreciated, even if you don't know the exact method of creating that final result.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects - A question about animating fonts
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 9:29:55 pm

See how these animated typefaces have been achieved:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: After Effects - A question about animating fonts
by on Sep 12, 2014 at 10:41:43 pm

Hi Mihail,
Going along with what Todd had posted, be sure to check those links out. But, you may be doing to much work. Without knowing your project details or seeing what you were trying to do, you can do a lot of Animations utilizing the Text Animator tool. This will allow you to do animations to just single characters up to full words, phrases etc. You basically set the parameters on how it chooses its characters and tell it what animations to do for you. You can find the text animation options if you drop down the main text file, and over to the right you will see Animate: >. Hope that helps.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Mihail IlievRe: After Effects - A question about animating fonts
by on Sep 13, 2014 at 3:58:23 pm

Hi , thank you all for the helpful responses. Characteristic looks very interesting and is basically exactly what i need. And i completely agree with what Derek Boettcher said about using Text Animator , but text animator does not really work in my case since all of the letters are different shape animations that are not exactly parametric- most of them involve masking parts of letters and adding additional elements and animations and other stuff that can only be done in a composition.

Thank you all for helping me out:)

Return to posts index

Max PowerRe: After Effects - A question about animating fonts
by on Sep 13, 2014 at 5:55:27 pm

With out knowing exactly what you were doing to animate the letters it is hard to advise you as to a simpler way to achieve results. As far as I know there is no script that would help you in this matter. Perhaps an adaptation of the text animator would have suited. Or the usage of comps and a control layer may have also suited your purpose. A link to the project so we could see a sample of what you were trying to achieve could help shed some light on it.

Max Power
Q-Arts Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved