ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

custom pixel aspect ratio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Dupstacustom pixel aspect ratio
by on Sep 7, 2014 at 9:08:33 pm

I received some interesting specs to follow for an unconventional billboard.
My final delivery is 1216x214 with a non-square (.8525) pixel aspect ratio.
So it basically is one 608x214 left eye and one 608x12 right eye. Put these two side by side and you have a single 1216x214 quicktime to deliver.
This is how it will play, and how it will render out, 1216x214. I need to set up a .8525 pixel aspect ratio to get it to look proper when viewing on the 6,000 sq ft canvas.
1) I have created this entire 1216x214 file in 1:1 square pixels already. Can I salvage this render?
2) I now need to comply with these specs. 1216x214 .8525 (pixel aspect ratio, not screen aspect ratio.)

I have not been able to successfully edit the AE interp TXT file. I am doing it wrong for sure.
Or is there another way to create a .8525 pixel aspect ratio?

Can anyone shed some light on this that has indeed customized a bizarre pixel aspect ratio in the past?
This will be a one-off. Any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: custom pixel aspect ratio
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 4:23:54 pm

Yeah, that's definitely weird. Just for the heck of it, I multiplied 608 by 0.8525.... it's just a shade over 518, so the correct aspect ratio would be 518x214 in square pixels.

I'd work at 518x214 just for my sanity, and then when done I would nest the comp in custom 608x214 comp with the 0.8525 PAR. The nested comp won't fit properly, so just use the "scale the layer to fit the comp" command -- ctl-alt-f win, cmd-opt-f mac.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Antony DupstaRe: custom pixel aspect ratio
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 7:59:15 pm

Thanks Dave,
Again thanks for the math on this, makes since. This helps for many future PARs I come across.

I really wished I knew these specs prior to doing everything in square pixels.
Now if I were to reverse engineer this, I am curious if you think it is salvageable, seems like starting with a square pixel comp would translate to the tops and bottoms being cropped off. But for kicks since I did not start with the proper PAR. I would need to blow it up right?
Thanks again.
Anthony-

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: custom pixel aspect ratio
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 11:14:14 pm

'fraid so on blowing it up. That's why I figured out what the comp size would be in square pixels first.

Now understand, this size is just an approximation, but a good one -- it's within a pixel of being spot on. So if you happen to have rotating circles in the animation, the eagle-eyed viewer may see something amiss, but only on a particularly visually-acute day.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]