ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Color Settings" When Using "Apply Color LUT" effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
"Color Settings" When Using "Apply Color LUT" effect?
on Sep 3, 2014 at 12:27:40 pm

Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to what Color Settings to use when working with LUTs in After Effects. Would you set Color Working Space to "None" or would you set it to the final destination workspace - say Rec 709 for broadcast? In Avid, you have your workspace set to Rec 709 and apply a LUT to the footage. Is the process the same or different in After Effects?

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: "Color Settings" When Using "Apply Color LUT" effect?
on Sep 3, 2014 at 6:19:59 pm

Personally, I find that AE works just fine with no tweaking to color settings.... but it all depends on the footage. You'd have to mess with color from certain RED camera models, for instance.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Sep 3, 2014 at 6:22:15 pm

Thanks, Dave. Sounds like the LUT effect overrides everything then.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Anthony Dupsta
on Sep 5, 2014 at 10:32:56 pm

Scott,

So that is really for viewing. If you want to see what the editor will be seeing than, yes you can set it over to rec709 so you get an idea what he/she will be seeing.
But when they import it into the avid is when they will set it to RGB or REC709. That is regardless to what you set your viewing space as.
Good Luck

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Sep 5, 2014 at 11:27:20 pm

Thanks, Anthony. So, I turn off the LUT for the render, right? And I should not render in Rec 709? Should I render as "None"?

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Anthony Dupsta
on Sep 6, 2014 at 5:41:48 pm

Scott,
Going to make a bunch of assumptions, only to help speed up your process.
Your title is film editor. So I am going to assume you are cutting, you have jumped into AE and want to do a quick Temp offline effect to import into an offline Avid reel? Again, massive speculation?
So "Look Up Tables" can be baked in or used just to view with. They also follow particular rules on how they are applied. Lets skip all that for right now...
Here are two things you can do since I am speculating on your final delivery. What is it BTW?
v001: You can jump into AE, render out what you need, with no LUT and all the color management off 'none"
v002: Jump into AE, apply the effect/utility/applyLut. Apply that .cube or 3dl or what ever they gave you. Bake it to your render also with the color managment off, 'none" and now...
You can deliver one with the LUT baked in and one with out any color mods, clean. Stay away from the REC709 color space for now. Many LUTs will do that rec709 conversion if that is necessary. However, worse case scenario, the editor applies the LUT on his end to your clean render and does some temp color timing to match the dallies.
They will import your render as REC709 and the gamma will than be changed from your sRGB render. Slight gamma shift.
As a rule of thumb I would say LUTs should not get baked in and should only be used as a viewer to keep the pipeline simple.
Try those two renders and mine for better feedback on what is needed.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Sep 14, 2014 at 2:08:43 pm

Thanks for the info, Anthony. Sorry for the late reply. Good to know your opinions on using LUTs as view only.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]