ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Warping very similar shots so that they cut together seemlessly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McMullinWarping very similar shots so that they cut together seemlessly
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 12:16:36 pm

The reason I'm posting this is that I'm comping together some green screen footage with a table in the foreground. People and objects come and go but the table remains a constant. The table should not have changed position from shot to shot, however it was knocked a little bit between takes and you can see the very slight jumps.

I can line up some of them manually quite well but one or two have a bit of perspective distortion and it's quite complicated to get perfectly right. I've tried precomping and putting the warp stabilizer on it, but it doesn't seem to be able to recognise the wood textures and makes a complete mess of it.

What do other people do in this situation? I'm guessing corner pinning and eye-matching but it's not as perfect as I want it to be.

Many thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Warping very similar shots so that they cut together seemlessly
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 6:17:01 pm

In this situation, I would re-shoot. I wouldn't try to fool around with matching sizes, perspectives, etc. I'd probably spend more time pulling my hair out working in AE than it would to do it the right way.

But if you don't want to do that.....

Rotoscope around the items on the table, and use just one shot with the table in it throughout. Rotobrush ought to be able to do the trick. Then you simply have to reposition the items on the table a bit. If you have perspective issues, that's a completely different kettle of fish; depending on the severity of the differences, there's only so much you can do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John McMullinRe: Warping very similar shots so that they cut together seemlessly
by on Sep 3, 2014 at 10:23:59 pm

Thanks Dave. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I can't reshoot as it's not my production. If worst comes to the worst I think a re-position and resize and a dissolve and darkening the table will have to suffice. If I roto the objects on the table then I'll lose all the shadows as well.

I was surprised though that the warp stabilize didn't work. It's been behaving very strangely in correcting two shots that are almost exactly the same. I was wondering if I'd missed a trick in how I am using it.

John

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Warping very similar shots so that they cut together seamlessly
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 11:34:42 pm

I wouldn't use stabilization, I'd reposition & scale as necessary.

It's a shame they weren't watching their step when they shot. Oh well, you get to change more money for your time, I guess.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John McMullinRe: Warping very similar shots so that they cut together seamlessly
by on Sep 8, 2014 at 8:12:20 pm

Yes. I used mesh warp on shots in the end. Was easy to make a grid that fitted the table and it all worked quite well.

Many thanks,

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]