ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

walk cycle advice needed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Petersonwalk cycle advice needed
by on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:45:04 am

Im trying to make a puppet walk in AE. So far the actual cycle looks ok but now Im trying to get the puppet from one side of the comp to other but if I just move the whole thing slowly then it just looks like gliding. So I tried using some guides which I placed so that I can see when each foot is planted and then keyframed the position of the whole puppet so that the planted foot doesn't slide. This works as far as getting rid of the gliding but now with each step the puppet is lurching forward which is really no better than gliding.

How do I do this? Do I need to keyframe the actual walk across the comp rather than making the walk first then key framing the position after? If so this seems like a very long winded way to do things.
Everything I have read talks about creating a loop cycle but I can't find any info about how to move from A to B realistically once the cycle is created.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: walk cycle advice needed
by on Aug 27, 2014 at 8:12:10 pm

Take a look at this:

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Max PowerRe: walk cycle advice needed
by on Sep 13, 2014 at 6:15:03 pm

Unfortunately AE is not the best animation program for something like this Flash does a much better job.
However if you do need to work in AE I recommend the following.

Create your walk cycle as you have already done. Do not try to move it across the screen yet.
Now drop your walk cycle comp into a new comp. This is where you will create the walk from one side to the other. Also remember that walking is not in a straight line. We all walk as a pendilum swings with high and low points. This new comp is where you will make those adjustments as well as moving your character across the screen. Also stretch and squash can help to give the illusion of an actual walk cycle by giving a little bounce to the character. Best with your project.

Max Power
Q-Arts Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved