ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need instant expertise in placing tracking markers on greenscreen for AE tracking in post

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Need instant expertise in placing tracking markers on greenscreen for AE tracking in post
on Aug 14, 2014 at 11:39:01 pm

Next week I shoot some presenter stuff on a single-wall (not a cove) green screen set, using a jib. That's all I know about the assignment today. To me, that jib means the stuff is going to have to be motion-tracked in After Effects in post. I don't have to do the edit/compositing, thank goodness, but I need tips on how to put markers on the green screen which the trackers in AE can work with reliably. I have never done green screen that needed markers before... I can light and key the screen just fine, but I've never tracked markers.

How many, what kind, what color, do I place on the painted canvas green screen? what should I watch out for?

Please, pretend I'm Joe 90, sitting inside B.I.G.R.A.T. and fill my head with instant knowledge about how to pull this off successfully.

Thanks in advance for the desperately needed tutelage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need instant expertise in placing tracking markers on greenscreen for AE tracking in post
on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:33:42 pm

I'd take a look at the downloadable green screen examples at HollywoodVFX.com.... I'm pretty sure that's the name of the web site. If not, it's just a google away. You can see how they put tracking markers on their green screens.

Typically, they're the same green hue, but the luminance is different. AE can track them, and they'll still key. If you have the luxury of being able key both green AND blue, you could make the markers blue.

Watch out for putting too much light on the green screen; the green screens on the Hollywood VFX clips are pretty hot. Keylight, the most often-used keyer in AE, performs better if the green is on the dark side. If the brightest part of the chroma key shot is at 100 IRE, Keylight likes the background at 65-75 IRE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need instant expertise in placing tracking markers on greenscreen for AE tracking in post
on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:50:52 pm

Got the web sit name wrong. Here's what you want:
http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/vfx_sampleclips.html

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:40:03 pm

Is the background simply going to be replaced with flat graphics or is there a need for a convincing 3d environment? If you need convincing 3d, you will need things to track that aren't just on the back wall.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 15, 2014 at 10:15:42 pm

Thanks for the quick help. The job has morphed into a real set shoot now, making the tracking dots issue moot. But, now I know what to do for next time. I had been figuring on adding two mic stands with tracking targets on them in the same focal plane with the nose of the talent, besides the wall targets. Anything I should now about those mid-distance targets?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 16, 2014 at 4:27:43 pm

It would be good to have some at varying places in 3d space besides just in line with the talent.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]