ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Warp Distortion Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay RajWarp Distortion Effect
by on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:59:56 am

Hi, I am trying to reproduce the databending-warp effect in the picture link below.

I have googled many keywords such as "ghost frames, databending, echo effect, hall of mirrows, etc." but to no avail. I have also tried the time echo effect in After Effects but it doesn't seem to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Warp Distortion Effect
by on Sep 13, 2014 at 1:17:31 am

One way would be to use the liquify filter. You can tell it to not stretch certain areas, then take the pinch tool, and drag it out into streaks. Its keyframeable, so that's an option. You can also do a mask with horizontal blur. Basically, create 2 of the same layer, bottom layer be the blurred version, and top clean plate, then mask around what you want to keep straight and then feather it out. You can also do the same type of technique by adding it to an adjustment layer and masking what you want clean/blurry and then choosing add or subtract respectively, which is probably the better way to go anyways. Hope that helps. There are probably other ways to do it, but that's the 2 ways I can think of off the top of my head. I'd have to play around with it more to see if I can find others.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved