ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mask multiple layers via adjustment layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Iain SmithMask multiple layers via adjustment layer?
by on Aug 2, 2014 at 5:22:40 pm

Hi folks,

I'm brand new on CreativeCow, please go easy!

I have a Composition which includes a number of frames of a rotoscoped animation I have created. These are in sequence and I don't want to meddle with those too much now. (I made these using Image Sequence and painted in PS).

I've now mirrored that footage so that my animation is appears twice on screen (left and right with a vertical mirror line). I did this simply by duplicating the frames and transforming them to the other side of the composition.

My issue is is that over the top of the centre point there is a big space which overlaps some detail on the layers below. I'd like to create an adjustment layer, select the space to remove from view to reveal the parts beneath it, but nothing seems to be working.

Is this the wrong way to go about this? Can an adjustment layer be used to mask multiple similar layers beneath it?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Mask multiple layers via adjustment layer?
by on Aug 2, 2014 at 7:51:18 pm

That's not what adjustment layers are for. You draw masks on adjustment layers to limit the area within which an effect is applied.

If you want to mask out an area, draw the mask on the footage layer itself. If you want to mask out an area on a composite of several layers, precompose them and draw the mask on the precomposition layer.

Start here to learn After Effects:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved