ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha AE -- replaced phone screen is off corner pins

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Knowles
Mocha AE -- replaced phone screen is off corner pins
on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:21:29 am

On a deadline, first-time Mocha AE user -- so I apologize if this has been covered already; hopefully it's an easy fix.

I'm tracking an iPhone in a guy's hand in Mocha AE CC. I get a decent track and export data, copying the "AE Corner Pin (supports motion blur) to the clipboard. Back to AE in my comp, I place a pre-comp layer of the new screen on top of the tracked footage, add the Corner Pin effect and hit Edit>Paste. The new screen conforms to the tracking data for the most part BUT it's not in the same position as the phone screen. It's slightly offset a few pixels to the right and higher on the screen. So the pinned corners of the new screen are not identical to the first frame of the tracking data that represents the screen. Any ideas why this is so offset?

In Mocha, the spline surrounds the entire phone and my surface is aligned and sized to the screen itself.
In AE, the replacement screen is sized 600 by 1080 (footage is 1920x1080), not sure if the odd size is throwing it off.

Mac Pro 1,1. AE CC (not 2014), Mocha AE CC, OS 10.7
TIA, JVK

Return to posts index

Oki Pienandoro
Re: Mocha AE -- replaced phone screen is off corner pins
on Jul 18, 2014 at 11:36:46 am

On many cases the mistake from new mocha user is :
1. The Mocha Project and AE Comp is not EXACTLY the same (you need to check everything is the same; comp size, fps, fields/progressive, PAR)
2. You didn't pasted on the very first frame in AE.
3. The replacement screen should be the exact frame size with AE Comp.

Btw, on most cases using Mathias Möhl's MochaImport script is tremendously help pasted the data correctly.

http://aescripts.com/mochaimport/

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Jul 19, 2014 at 8:07:00 pm

HI Oki, thanks for the reply.

I think the issue is that the image I want to place on the phone is smaller than my comp. So how do I size it correctly? Should it be distorted, so that it looks "wrong" until the Mocha corner pin data is applied?

In other words, if my comp is 1920x1080, and the replacement screen on the phone is 600x1080, I should stretch the width of the replacement screen to be 1920? So that even if it looks wrong it will corner pin correctly?

JVK

Return to posts index

Oki Pienandoro
on Jul 19, 2014 at 8:45:26 pm

If you're in doubt, just test using solid, make that solid same as comp size, pasted mocha data at the very first frame.

Yes it will distorted, but it will corner pin correctly. There's no need to applied corner pin effect before hand, Mocha corner pin data IS the effect it self (don't be confused with mocha transform data).

If you want undistorted replacement, you can use stabilize precomp.

You should see Mathias Mohl tutorial, he also cover some of the common new user mistakes.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:48:00 pm

If you have not solved by now, the answer is to match the replacement (insert) layer to the comp size. You can precomp it, scale it up to comp size, then apply the corner pin to that precomp.

There are more advanced ways to handle this, but if you are just started I would advise to always match the insert size to the comp size.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]