ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Simple (?) Particular Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike MacKenzieSimple (?) Particular Question
by on Jul 5, 2014 at 7:31:00 pm

Hey everyone...
Particular newb here looking for what I expect will be a simple answer to a question. I have created rain, and am mostly happy with it except that I need to change the angle of descent to about 45° so that it looks like it's raining sideways (sort of).
This is graphic rain, so it uses a Sprite as a particle. Physics model is Bounce (so it splashes at the end). Gravity is 300. Emitter velocity is 0. I'm very happy with what I have, except that I cannot figure the raining-at-an-angle part. I assume this is a simple matter, but when I mess around with what look like promising parameters it gets all messed up. Also, my particles are basically dashes and I would like their direction to match the angle of descent.
My workaround would be to precomp the whole thing, rotate it 45° and angle the floor layer to compensate for the rotation, but I am trying to learn Particular and I'd rather do it the right way rather than fake it.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Atiqur SumonRe: Simple (?) Particular Question
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:32:45 am

Rules of thumb

Ex. Groundspeed = 110 Kts x 5 = 550fpm rate of descent to maintain 3 degree ... This is not an Exact science as under FL180 you have to change to the local alt setting. ... To determine the wind correction angle you must know the crosswind ... The 45 degree multiplier is 0.7 for headwind, tailwind & crosswind components.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Simple (?) Particular Question
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:39:34 pm

You should be able to rotate the world axis.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mike MacKenzieRe: Simple (?) Particular Question
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:53:57 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. You any relation to Zarley Zalapski?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:56:59 pm

[Mike MacKenzie] "You any relation to Zarley Zalapski?"

Never heard of them, but that doesn't mean I'm not. :P

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:58:29 pm

Ex-NHL player. Not a name you run into as often as, say, Smith.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:02:55 pm

It's pretty rare!
I know NHL players are famous for getting their teeth knocked out, but I've never heard of one getting a letter knocked off of their surname!

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:06:00 pm

I noticed the spelling was slightly off but figured it was a victim of Americanization at some point. I bet if you went back far enough you'd be related. Your great-great-great-great-great Uncle Pieter was a goatherd in Krakow or something.

Motion Graphics Designer / Art Director
Boston, MA

System:
Mountain Lion on SSD
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800
18 GB RAM

Return to posts index

by on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:04:52 pm

My great-grandfather stowed away on a ship to get to The States, so that's not that far of a stretch...

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]