ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects Screen Replacement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon BreukelmanAfter Effects Screen Replacement
by on Jul 3, 2014 at 9:09:36 pm

So I've got a scene made in Cinema 4D R15, where basically the camera moves from a window towards a laptop screen, zooming in on it where it stops. The laptop gets in view from the side, so it's not a smooth, clean movement. And on this screen I want to put another scene, as if the laptop is playing a video.

Now I've looked at several tutorials, including Motion Track, Mocha and saving the Cinema project as an After Effects project. However, none work.
The Motion Track is too inaccurate to cover the path
Mocha is unable to open the file
Exporting it from Cinema as an AE project fails since the plugin does not work for CS6 and R15.

Right now I am just using Corner Points to move the other scene on top of the laptop, which is more than 200 frames. Now this is doable, but a huge pain.

So my question, does anyone know an easy way to create a moving screen replacement, without using any plugins, Motion Track or Mocha?

Return to posts index

Ricardo RoldánRe: After Effects Screen Replacement
by on Jul 5, 2014 at 11:07:07 am

Hi Leon!

Have you tried rendering the Cinema4D project as a video instead of exporting it to Mocha or AE? If you did it and doesn´t work as well, maybe you can create a plane in Cinema 3D and put the texture of that video you want to put in (I don´t use Cinema4D but I have seen things like that in other 3D programs).

In case you render the project as a video, AE should open it with no problem and in it is easy to track, with motion tracking or the "camera tracking" effect (in "perspective" section of effects).

Hope I helped you!

Return to posts index

Ken TeutschRe: After Effects Screen Replacement
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:30:41 pm

Have you considered rendering out the video you want on the laptop screen and adding it within CD4? That might be much easier than tracking it in AE.

You can use moving video as a texture and apply it to a plane on the laptop screen.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects Screen Replacement
by on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:38:43 pm

[Leon Breukelman] "Exporting it from Cinema as an AE project fails since the plugin does not work for CS6 and R15."

It should work. I'm using R15 and CS6 with no problems.

You definitely need to go this route because it will get you a perfect result.

Therefore, let's troubleshoot the problem.
Have you downloaded the latest update to Maxon's plugin?
What exact version of R15 are you running?
What exact version of CS6 are you running?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Leon BreukelmanRe: After Effects Screen Replacement
by on Jul 13, 2014 at 4:46:33 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

For the deadline I had to shift it frame for frame but we found out (after the deadline) that the plugin was not downloaded correctly for some reason. We've redownloaded and installed it and it's working now. My After Effects has been a little buggy because the project was actually way too heavy for my laptop to handle.

Luckily due to the effects it's not visible at all that the replaced screen was slightly shaking so all went well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved