ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Way to Switch Between 2 Versions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sabri Liefert
Best Way to Switch Between 2 Versions
on Jun 30, 2014 at 1:56:41 pm

Hi

I´m working on an animation where i need two versions with different text and objects.
What is the best way to switch between two text versions. The project is continuously in development so i have to switch a lot.
I don´t want to replace the assets every time i switch. There are a lot of layers and it is also error-prone.

Does an script or something exist for doing this?

kind regards

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best Way to Switch Between 2 Versions
on Jun 30, 2014 at 3:54:43 pm

That isn't much information to go on. You can have two versions of after effects open at the same time.

Can you easily exchange information between the two open versions? You might be able to copy-paste some things, but you can't share layers. They are two different projects. You have to import them into each project.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sabri Liefert
on Jun 30, 2014 at 4:22:32 pm

No sorry, i mean two versions of the same animation.
Like one is in german and one is in english.
The animation is the same.
During development of the animation i have to render daily a german and english version.
So it would be very annoying to replace all text every day.
A automatic or semi-automatic solution would be great.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:32:44 pm

How are you accessing the English and German text?
Is it in a text editing application?
Do you type it by hand?
Are you asking about automatic translation?

I suspect that the differencnces between the two languages would require you to lay the text out a little differently in each version for better visual impact. If you tried an automated solution to convert one language to another, the look of the converted version would probably suffer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:56:12 pm

You could make a null object as a controller layer in your main comp. Apply an expression controls Checkbox Control to it.

Create a precomp for each instance of text. Have the opacity for the German layers set to be 100% when the checkbox is marked and have it be 0% when the checkbox is blank. And vice versa for the English layers.

Once you have one comp set up like that, simply create a duplicate of it for each new instance of text you need.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sabri Liefert
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:11:31 pm

Thank you for the idea!

I inserted the following expression to the Opacity of the Text Layer:

if (comp("Control").layer("Null 1").effect("Checkbox Control")("Checkbox")==1) 0 else 100

And did the inverse to the other language text layer.

Works good!

Its only a little bit fiddling to have two comp. windows open to see both, the control and the actual composition simultaneously open. Or is there a better workaround to switch controls (in different "master" comp.) and see the affected composition at once.
I plan to link a lot of controls to the "master control" composition for presentation.

kind regards

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:30:49 pm

In the same way that you open 2 composition windows, it should be possible to have two effect panels open - one locked to the control layer's effects. My AE machine is in the middle of a render or I'd check to make sure that works.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Sabri Liefert
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:41:29 pm

Thank you again,

i just have to lock the window to prevent it from jumping to display the "Control Comp".

Is it possible to distribute the layer expression to multiple text layer at once?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:50:48 pm

Edit>Copy Expression I think.
Or maybe it's Edit>Copy then Edit>Paste Expression.

Either way, there's an option to just copy an expression onto another layer.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]