ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Using proper blending modes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan marckUsing proper blending modes
by on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:44:29 pm

Hi all, I got some great help with my last question so I'm back!

This time I have composited 2 separate videos of a band, one with the band in red and the other in black (both with a transparent background). I also have a video of a red visual effect flying across the screen.

What I want to happen is for the red band to be the main shot, but as the visual effect floats across the screen it reveals the black band beneath. When the black band is revealed it covers the red band entirely.

I tried using a simple "screen" blending mode but that meant that the black band wouldn't cover the red band, it treated the black band as transparent. Anyone have any better ideas?

Return to posts index

jonathan marckRe: Using proper blending modes
by on Jun 25, 2014 at 10:16:10 pm

Here is the closest I've come so far. You'll notice that the black band is barely affecting the red. How can I make the black band be ACTUALLY black??

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Using proper blending modes
by on Jun 26, 2014 at 1:31:19 pm

Not sure I totally understand what you're trying to do, but I would think you should use an your red footage as an alpha matte for the band and have an additional layer of the red footage underneath that.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Using proper blending modes
by on Jun 26, 2014 at 3:13:20 pm

Don't use blending modes for this.
Use channel mixer or a similar effect to make your red smoke layer pure white. (Unless you made it look red for this use and it was originally white, in which case, just use the unaffected version of the layer.)
Use that as a track matte for the footage you want to reveal. Apply Levels as necessary to make the people more opaque.
And put a copy of your red smoke layer below it all.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved