ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Automize brightness

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maris GoudzwaardAutomize brightness
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 9:56:10 pm

I'm working on a project that visualizes being in a spaceship traveling around. There is a layer with spaceflight footage and on top of that there is a layer with a spaceship window frame. as you can see below:

You can see that the window frame has the same brightness in a dark setting as it has in a light setting. I want the window frame to roughly match the brightness of the footage shown underneath it. It's going to be a 1 hour video so i was wondering if there is an trick to automatically adjust the brightness

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Automize brightness
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:00:58 pm

Well, maybe.

Here is what I would try: Duplicate your background footage, place it as the top layer. change the transfer mode to screen, then add a box blur to it and blur it out. Add a subtract mask where the porthole is and feather it out. Finally change the opacity to make it look more like a highlight. You can then precompose that and try adding a displacement map and parent the light layer to ship window to make it look like it is distorting around the objects there.

I would also probably flip the image so that the light hits the opposite wall when it comes into view. That's the only thing I can think of to "automate" something like that.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved