ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking a curved surface

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoffrey Weglarz
Tracking a curved surface
on Jun 15, 2014 at 4:52:44 pm

In After Effects CC.

I have a curved surface (an oil tanker truck) and I want to add text to the side. I've tried the 3D camera tracker and that only does flat. I've searched for this information about the Foundry's camera tracker and Mocha and have not found anything that seems to work with curved surfaces.

Any idea if any of these or other tools can do this?

Thanks,

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Weglarz

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
Re: Tracking a curved surface
on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:57:19 pm

It depends on the motion and the curve. A lot of the time you can get away with a planar track and then add the curved distortion in your composite OR break a surface into multiple planes.

Additionally mocha Pro has a mesh warper which is purposely designed to bend an insert for a curved surface.

This is an advanced tutorial, but covers some of the concepts for bending an insert for realistic compositing. http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/mocha-pro-how-to-replace-a-logo/view

Beyond this, you might want to look at more camera tracking such as PFTrack or Syntheyes.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Weglarz
on Jun 16, 2014 at 9:37:45 pm

Thanks, I'll look into the tutorial.

Geoffrey Weglarz

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Weglarz
on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:00:47 pm

Good quick tutorial. But what I am looking for is a way to curve the text around a cylinder; vertical, not horizontal. This is what I have and it's OK, but not curved like I want it to.

Geoffrey Weglarz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]