ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Uneven gradient in exported AE files!?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian FriisUneven gradient in exported AE files!?
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 3:59:04 pm

When I export mov's with ie 3D light, i never can get the gradient (of the light on the background for instance) to make a smooth gradient. Any ideas as to why that is the case?

My exports are 1920x1080 HDV25p.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Uneven gradient in exported AE files!?
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 4:25:32 pm

Without seeing an example image, it sounds like banding. There are tons of posts for what banding is and how to deal with it.

Short explanation is that RGB color space in 8-bits only has a limited number of colors. (When you compress it for web - such as using h.264 codecs - it makes that issue even worse.)

Short solution: add noise. It'll make your video look more realistic anyway.

Two ways to do this off the top of my head.

1. Create a solid at 50% grey, add noise, crank it up to 100%, turn the layer's opacity very low. Somewhere between 2% and 5% usually works. Switch color noise off or on and scale the layer depending on how you want it to look.

2. Add Fractal Noise to your background layer and turn the blend with original option way up to about 97%-ish.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Christian FriisRe: Uneven gradient in exported AE files!?
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:16:54 pm

sorry for not checking previous posts. i had a hard time even figuring out the english words for the issue... :-O

anyway, thanks a lot! this makes sense, and finally i'm rid of these nasty "lines"...!

cheers!

http://www.oddresort.com

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Uneven gradient in exported AE files!?
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:42:11 pm

A simple way to add noise to your gradient is just to use the scatter effect. It's quick and'll get er' dun

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]