ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Resolution of nested 3D layer issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seb HarderResolution of nested 3D layer issue
by on Apr 13, 2014 at 1:30:23 am

CS6 on an iMac.
I've motion tracked a video of a mountain (camera pulls back) and have added a chroma keyed character to the side. All good. But I want to punch in to start in a closeup on the actor. Parenting the 3d layer and the mountain video to a null and scaling up isn't working- the 3d layer doesn't parent properly. If I precompose the 3d layer I lose resolution. Collapse transformations doesn't seem to help.

IDEAS? ....Shouldn't be hard to add a scale effect.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Resolution of nested 3D layer issue
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:35:06 pm

Collapsing transformations should bring you all of the original resolution of your source items. What's not working about it when you try it? When you precomposed, did you move all attributes into the precomp? Is the layer set as a 3d layer in the precomp?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Seb HarderRe: Resolution of nested 3D layer issue
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:04:43 pm

I wound up going a very different way - motiontracked the styrofoam mountain and rebuilt it in 3d- so I could have better control over the camera. No matter which way I tried collapse transformations I couldn't get it to parent properly. Maybe there is no way to parent a 3d layer to a 2d one and get it to move properly.

Return to posts index

Mackenzie CriswellRe: Resolution of nested 3D layer issue
by on Apr 23, 2014 at 2:06:16 pm

If you precompose the layer, and turn on the collapse transformation switch, you shouldn't lose reolution. Or if you like Nuke better, it doesn't lose resolution for anything like that, as it runs on nodes.

Mackenzie Criswell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved