ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Title Safe Discussion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex DorrierTitle Safe Discussion
by on Mar 28, 2014 at 1:13:14 pm

Not so much a question, but more of an open discussion. I'm curious to know how other video production professionals who produce spots for broadcast work within the title-safe/action-safe confines.

Do you have trouble maintaining the aesthetics of your final product when working with tile and action safe boundaries? Do you have any tricks or work arounds when you have trouble getting your footage to fit?

A lot of the spots that I produce are text-on-screen heavy as opposed to having a talent speaking directly to the camera. That said I find it a challenge to display all the necessary text without compromising any of the creative or the footage I use as backgrounds to the text. I also produce more SD spots than HD.

I'm interested to know how everyone else handles this!

Cheers!
-Alex

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Title Safe Discussion
by on Mar 28, 2014 at 3:17:25 pm

When I'm doing work for broadcast (which is not so much anymore - but it was my only constraint for 15 years or so), I generally cheat my graphics up to half way through Title Safe - of course, this all depends upon the composition, and sometimes I'll keep my text constraints right up to the Title Safe lines, and sometimes I'll cheat them out.

With things like bugs and lower thirds, I generally take the bugs almost up to the Action Safe line, and the lower third container will extent all the way to the raster edge. That said, my text lines in the lower third will all stay within Title Safe, but if, for example, I have a logo bug on the lower third, I feel free to cheat it into the Title Safe area.

Of course, with web stuff, all bets are off, although I respect the Title Safe boundary for web creation, since nothing looks worse than text or graphical elements which are too close to the raster frame. It's also good to bear in mind how the final delivery is going to be dealt with - if you're doing an HD production, and the broadcast station decides to do a center cut (their specs will usually specify "Center Cut Safe" for graphics), that beautiful layout you worked so hard to get right in HD is going to get chopped to 4:3.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Title Safe Discussion
by on Mar 31, 2014 at 5:47:26 pm

All of the Utah TV Stations broadcast in HD. However, that doesn't mean the viewer is receiving an HD signal. Even though my TV is HD my Dish signal is SD. Because of that the image gets center punched, meaning I'm seeing a 4:3 image and the sides are cut off. I thought it was easier to stay in title safe when all of the broadcasters where on SD.

Things I do when cutting is think about if something isn't completely visible will the message still work. I've put images in places so you will see part of it on an SD signal and all of it on an HD signal. I personally hate it when the whole screen is completely filled with text.

Here are some samples of spots I have done where the text is 4:3 title safe in an HD spot and I think the end result is really cool:

In these spot I don't think you ever feel that the text should be bigger to fill up the hole screen. I think it works well and a simple clean look goes a long ways. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Alex DorrierRe: Title Safe Discussion
by on Mar 31, 2014 at 6:37:31 pm

Thanks for your response, Stephen! Your videos a very well done! I completely agree with your clean look. Not having too much busy text filling the screen is definitely the way to go, and it looks as if this is accomplished even when maintaining the 4:3 title safe.

I wonder, too, if it's best to keep text moving so nothing appears stagnant or calls attention to any unused space. I know that the kinetic typography style dictates this, however it seems that having text in motion or only on the screen for just enough time keeps the viewer engaged in the subject and not the subtleties of the spot.

Thanks again for sharing, Stephen!

-Alex

Return to posts index

by on Mar 31, 2014 at 6:57:07 pm

[Alex]
Your videos are very well done!

Thanks!

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Alex DorrierRe: Title Safe Discussion
by on Mar 31, 2014 at 8:57:26 pm

Thank you for your response, Joe. Did you ever have any feedback from broadcast stations saying that certain graphics were too far over the title/action safe lines when you had them just on the edge or further? Or would you find that it didn't make much of a difference?

I would imagine it depends on the station's stringency towards adhering to title safe/action safe boundaries.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Title Safe Discussion
by on Apr 1, 2014 at 12:15:48 am

Hi Alex -

I never received any input to that effect, but bear in mind that most broadcast stations will take deliverables and air them as is, unless there are obvious technical problems, such as illegal colors problem codecs, or long run times. I see stuff on broadcast TV all the time in which spots which were designed in HD with no thought to center cutting have obvious missing content due to the crop. I don't think they care, as long as the air time is paid for.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:18:01 pm

When I started doing TV spots HD wasn't around. You could go a little over the title safe line in SD and it never was a problem. The first HD spot I did (years ago) we wondered if we could go a little to the left or right beyond the SD Center Cut. I watched it the day it aired and it cut off the text that went a little over the SD title safe area. We had to get the text completely into SD title safe in order for it to be visible do to HD center cut.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]