ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding footage from FCP to AE that's in a 2.35:1 Ratio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt MorganAdding footage from FCP to AE that's in a 2.35:1 Ratio
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 2:08:39 pm

Greetings,

I've been editing a short (in FCP) that I need to add some blood hits to for this Zombie movie. The footage is 1920x1080 and @24p with a 2.35:1 Ratio (this is how the customer wants it for the finalized film) but I'm trying to import into AE so that I can do the compositing and roto. However, there's the two black bars across the top. Yes I'm aware of it being the format and with all due respect to you here I would appreciate that you please skip the theory and explanation about the aspect ratio of an image which describes the proportional relationship between its width and its height. ;-)

What I need to know is how to set up the composition settings. I've tried the Custom settings in AE but I still can't get rid of the black bars. Is it something that I should do in FCP first so that they aren't there when I bring it into AE or is there some preset that is already in AE? I appreciate your assistance, thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Adding footage from FCP to AE that's in a 2.35:1 Ratio
by on Mar 31, 2014 at 6:01:33 pm

[Matt]
Yes I'm aware of it being the format and with all due respect to you here I would appreciate that you please skip the theory and explanation about the aspect ratio of an image which describes the proportional relationship between its width and its height. ;-)

I love aspect ratios like 2.40:1 and 2.35:1, I think it is Vimeo who hates 2.35:1 and they won't be responding here.

[Matt]
What I need to know is how to set up the composition settings. I've tried the Custom settings in AE but I still can't get rid of the black bars. Is it something that I should do in FCP first so that they aren't there when I bring it into AE or is there some preset that is already in AE?

As for FCP 7 or earlier. When working with 2.40:1 or 2.35:1 you don't set your timeline to those aspect ratios. Instead you work in a 1920 X 1080 timeline. You add the Widescreen filter and choose your aspect ratio, FCP then add the black bars on the top and bottom. If you are working with the footage in another program like AE then you simply disable the filter in FCP and send it on its way so you don't have black on the top and bottom.

Hope this helps. Another option is to put your clip in a pre comp and then work in the pre comp. When you are done just crop out the top and bottom of the Pre comp while in your comp orrrr just place a solid at the top of your layers and then use the mask tool to turn the solid into your black bars on the top and bottom so the blood doesn't fly onto the black bars.

Three options that I hope help. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Matt MorganRe: Adding footage from FCP to AE that's in a 2.35:1 Ratio
by on Mar 31, 2014 at 6:22:39 pm

Stephen,

Thanks much for your comments, yes it's not the best of situations but hey you do what you can. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Matt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Adding footage from FCP to AE that's in a 2.35:1 Ratio
by on Apr 1, 2014 at 3:38:35 pm

Here's another vote for working in 1920x1080, no letterboxing on the imported footage.

You might want to replicate the letterboxing just to have as a reference in case you need to re-frame a shot vertically. They can add the letterboxing back in FCP and cover the missing video at either the top or bottom.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt MorganRe: Adding footage from FCP to AE that's in a 2.35:1 Ratio
by on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:03:01 pm

Thanks Dave.

You Rock!

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved