ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Character walk towards camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Samuels
Character walk towards camera
on Mar 27, 2014 at 3:06:24 am

I need to animate my character in after effects walking towards and away from the camera. is there a way to do this effectively without drawing every frame by hand? Making a rig works well for a side view but walking towards camera is a different thing entirely. If anyone knows of any good tuts explaining how to do this I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction. Thank you

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Character walk towards camera
on Mar 27, 2014 at 7:03:24 pm

Two ways to simplify roto work:

Make a simple rectangular garbage mask around the walker. Next, use your color correction, perhaps several instances of it, to make the person very high contrast, doesn't matter how weird the colors get, then pull a luma key off him from that, to use as a traveling matte with the UN-corrected footage.

Photoshop has the "extract" effect, which only requires very rough tracing around an object. Export your footage as a frame movie into Photoshop and roto it using batch actions, a tablet, a fully-charged ipod and some caffeine, and you could be done in an hour. Or use the extract filter in AE, if that's possible.

Return to posts index

Mark Samuels
on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:00:29 pm

Im talking about 2D hand drawn animation not video footage

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:23:16 pm

OK, I get it now. There is something called: "poor man's motion cap". Shoot video of yourself walking to and from the camera, wearing tape markings at the main joints and ends of the arms and legs... or just at the extremities. Apply the Tracker from AE to each of those points, and copy the track data to nulls on your animated character rig. Would that do it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]