ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RGB Split in displacement?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey DeutschRGB Split in displacement?
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 12:25:14 am

I noticed this effect a while ago in a youtube video. Basically, when a Displacement map was used on a VFX shot, wherever the displacement was happening there was this really neat RGB fringe. I know how to do a basic RGB split, but how would I only apply it to areas affected by a displacement map?

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: RGB Split in displacement?
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 1:17:25 pm

The effect is called chromatic aberration and there are a lot of ways to do it. One way that gives you a very manual approach and lots of control is to copy the footage and use the channel effect to create the red green and blue channels.

Theres tons of tutorials on how to do it though, look to see what suits your needs best.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Joey DeutschRe: RGB Split in displacement?
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 5:37:49 pm

Thanks! Now how do you think I could apply it only to areas affected by a displacement map? Do you think I should use the displacement map as a matte on a separate chromatic aberration layer of the footage?

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: RGB Split in displacement?
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 5:47:43 pm

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do, but I think the answer would be to precompose the layer that has the chromatic aberration effect, change the blend mode to overlay and use it with the displacement map.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]