ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

blinking puppet

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juanjo Del Junco
blinking puppet
on Mar 15, 2014 at 9:46:51 am

Hi, i am haveing trouble animating a puppet blinking, i have used the reshape effect, marked the eyelid and after that making a second mask covering the entire eye, i guessed that would cover the entire eye with the eyelid expanded but the only thig it did was strech everything, in fact, it worked better with the second mask not covering the entire eye, but moving it down the eye, anyways, the eye always looks completly stretched, not covered, is there any other technique i could use or any other setup on the reshape effect that could make what i need? thanks in advance

7237_capturadepantalla20140315alas09.36.33.png.zip
7238_capturadepantalla20140315alas09.36.46.png.zip
7239_capturadepantalla20140315alas09.38.07.png.zip

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: blinking puppet
on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:47:35 pm

People don't like to download images just to look at them to tell you what they think. You can post the images right here in the thread. When you hit reply and start typing your response you'll see an icon just above where you are typing. The icon that looks like a camera will let you upload the photo to the COW and then give you code to embed the image into your post.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:29:04 pm

I just make the eyes open and eyes closed two different layers. Then I write a wiggle expression in the opacity of the open eyes that says if the wiggle value is over a certain number, then the opacity of that layer is 100, if it isn't then it's 0. Then I just place the closed eyes underneath - or you could write in expression in that opacity that says if the open eyes are 100, then opacity is 0 and if open eyes are 0 then opacity is 100.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Juanjo Del Junco
on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:12:14 pm

But that would make the eyelids appear and dissappear, wiuldn't it? instead of sort of go up and down...

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:55:53 pm

Yes, but it's easy and random so it gives a pretty good effect.

You could also just make the eye blinking a precomp and hand draw the frames as you want in 3 frames (open, half closed, closed) and then do a time remap of that precomp and use the 3 keyframes as you like. Blinking is fast, so don't worry about putting too many frames in there.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 19, 2014 at 5:16:44 pm

There are many ways to approach it. Depending on the complexity of the animation will depend on how complex the blinking needs to be. I just cut this spot and the characters are very simple:

https://vimeo.com/89146724?utm_source=email&utm_medium=clip-transcode_compl...

Because of that I had the eyes on a separate layer and just created a mask in the middle of the eyes. Mask opacity set to zero, next frame mask opacity set to 100. You see half the eyes at that point. Then mask scale changed to cut eyes out completely. Next frame set to old mask scale. Next frame zero opacity.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Juanjo Del Junco
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:06:31 am

That is a nice idea, i think i'll go that way, with three frames, open wide, half closed and closed down.
With the reshape tool i got to this state, but it is not perfect at all...

As you can see the left pupil doesn't move correctly and stays a little bit up...

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 20, 2014 at 2:10:39 pm

Haha, wow, you REALLY meant a puppet! I thought we were talking vector animation here. You may consider doing more frames than 3, but with the same technique since these eyes are so big.

Also, I noticed this guy is pretty googli-eyed with different sized pupils and what not. One thing I like to do to add a little goofiness to a character is to make the blink in one eye delayed instead of simultaneous. If they're offset just a little bit, it just sells goofiness. Might be worth trying if thats an effect you want.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Juanjo Del Junco
on Mar 21, 2014 at 11:37:05 am

I'll give it a try this weekend and post results with the eyelids layers and a few more frames, thanks a lot :D

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 20, 2014 at 2:26:53 pm

I don't think you have Motion Blur turned on. That will help sell it much better.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]