ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Looking for advice on building projects smarter and cleaner.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle SmolicLooking for advice on building projects smarter and cleaner.
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 12:47:49 am

Hey everybody!

So I have a few years of motion graphics under my belt but one of the main things I wanted to improve on was working smarter not harder when creating videos. A lot of people I have worked with have mentioned how messy my timelines look when they try to work on my projects. It's something I started to notice when I need to fix or change something in the middle of the project. Often, it gets very clunky, processor heavy, and what I feel is a waste of time because I know there was a better, more efficient way to build it! Obviously, every project is going to be different but I was hoping someone can lend some insight into how they would build a project.

In this video

, I was thinking of how I would build the part where the panels flip to different social media icons. If I was going to build it, I would take the logos and in a comp set to say 500x500, have them flip on Y-axis, parented to each other. Then I would painstakingly place each of these precomps in tiled row by duplicating and moving them until they are in place.

I feel like this is not a smart way to go about arranging these tiles. I thought a better route would be maybe figuring out how many tiles I want, then dividing the main comp size (say 1280x720) into however many sections I need then plugging the x,y coordinates into the position for each comp so that they're exactly in line.

Basically my point is, the end result of my projects will generally come out the same as anyone elses, however, the time it takes to build it and the clunkiness hold it back. If anyone would like to share maybe how they would build it or some insight into flaws in my thought process I would greatly appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Looking for advice on building projects smarter and cleaner.
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 2:34:53 am

Mark Christiansen has a lot of good tips here:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved